Friday, July 13, 2012

Song Associations


When you listen to the radio, sometimes there will be a song that instantly brings someone to mind, be it a friend, family member or otherwise. For me, certain songs over time have become associated with wrestlers. No, I'm not talking about their theme songs, I'm talking about your every day songs. I'm going to list a few people that come to mind whenever a certain song plays.


The Undertaker - "His Eyes" by Pseudo Echo


There was a man so cold, no life was in his eyes.
He had a look so hard I've never seen him smile.
I could've told you then, you'd heard it all before,
But now you're in suspense, you'll have to wait for more.

There's a man with no life in his eyes...

I first heard this song when watching Friday the Thirteenth part 5: A New Beginning, and I loved it. It was only a few years ago that I was able to download it to my iPod. Fitting that the video for the song I found for this was a music video set to clips from the movie. But how fitting is this for The Undertaker? A man with no life in his eyes is (usually) a dead man. Every time I listen to it I seem to hear a gong in the distance...


Triple H - "Wherever I May Roam" by Metallica


 Only knowledge will I save..
To the game you stay a slave.
Roam on wanderer
Nomad, vagabond,
Call me what you will.

I remember making this association back in 2000-2001, when the McMahon-Helmsley era was on-going. The song seems to describe someone who is constantly wandering, conquering, and since The Game was doing just that, the connection came instantly. However, now that I'm looking back at it, this song really seems to be about someone constantly on the road and how lonely it can get. "And the road becomes my bride / I am stripped of all but pride / So in her I do confide / And she keeps me satisfied / Gives me all I need" and so on. This song still reminds me of Triple H, but now it seems to be an anthem for any and all professional wrestlers who forsake a stable home and job to roam the country, going wherever they can be booked, earning a reputation, paying their dues. "Less I have the more I gave / Off the beaten path I reign" - some give their all even when they're left with nothing. They may never be on television but to their fans they reign supreme.


April Davids - "Not Afraid" by Eminem


Ain't no way I'mma let you stop me from causing mayhem
When I say I'mma do something I do it
I don't give a damn what you think.
I'm doing this for me.

This song became my anthem for months this year to help me get through a difficult situation. It's about Em's struggle to come back from addiction, and his promise to help other fans through their own situations. It's a powerful song. Recently it looks like April Davids, one of the best wrestlers in the UK, is going through her own difficulties so now whenever I hear it, I think of her. She's a strong woman with a warrior spirit who deserves the best in life. I don't know if she's ever heard this song but I hope she does and uses it as a way of growing stronger and making her own come back.


LuFisto - "SuperSoul" by Dilana



You don't scare me although I'm small
I'm bullet proof and I'm ten feet tall.
Don't doubt myself
Don't play a role
My scars have healed,
Got a Super Soul...

This song is all about a woman bouncing back from someone who has hurt her, and proving how strong and resilient she is. Kind of obvious why LuFisto springs to mind, isn't it? She has taken every set back, every health concern, every person who has ever told her "You can't" and thrown it all back. The Super Hardcore Anime has proven she truly has a Super Soul.


What about you? What are songs that you associate with wrestlers? I'd like to know, tell me here or tweet me.

No comments:

Post a Comment